International Medical Council on Vaccination August 27, 2013
By Dr. Suzanne Humphries MD
The World Health Organization (WHO) says Israel needs to saturate the environment with a bivalent live Oral Polio Vaccine (OPV) in the hope of ridding the country of natural wild poliovirus. If you don’t already know, wild type 1 polio virus has been detected in the sewage system in Israel, and is thought to have been brought in by a Bedouin from Egypt. Nobody is known to have had any clinical symptoms as a result, but the WHO and Israeli Ministry Of Health (MOH) believe that it may only be a matter of time before susceptible persons become paralyzed. All who have tested positive for the virus thus far, have gained immunity and are asymptomatic.
I made a VIDEO weeks ago suggesting that the Israeli MOH may not have thought this through rationally, and that fearful parents could end up running to both OPV and IPV vaccines, even though they have never considered vaccinating before.
There has been massive opposition within Israel to vaccinating with OPV. The MOH has been fumbling for answers to the opposition, contradicting itself, and misinforming parents about many issues. Even though Israel uses the injected Inactivated Polio Vaccine (IPV), like many developed countries, a decision has been handed down to vaccinate the entire country of Israel with a two-strain, bivalent OPV.
Parents are writing me every day because they feel “frightened” and “terrorized” by the WHO/MOH decision to release a live communicable vaccine virus that reverts to virulence in the recipients, and has been found to circulate in populations where it is was used, 10 to 20 years after its discontinuation (HOVI 2013, SHULMAN 2000).
The questions asked of me are: What are the risks? What are the odds? What should people do to protect their children from revertant virus shedding from other children?
Parents are rightly concerned about revertants, which are viruses that, after being made tame or attenuated, by passing them through monkey kidneys and other animal cells, revert to their former potentially neurovirulent selves. They can cause something called vaccine-associalted paralytic poliomyelitis (VAPP) in susceptible persons. Where paralysis from wild polio virus is very low, countries stop using OPV because the cases of polio from the vaccine exceed the cases from wild polio. At this point in time there is no indication for OPV in Israel. At this point in time the calculated number of cases of paralysis associated with wild virus is ZERO.
WHO/MOH say that if you give your child the OPV now, they will be protected from revertants, because if everyone does it, herd immunity will prevent problems. I would like to know how they support that statement, given the fact that revertants occur most frequently after the first OPV dose, rather than subsequent ones, and that the problem of reversion is inescapable. Also how are they going to stop more import of wild virus?
OPV isn’t given just to protect a child from getting infected with polio virus. So why are they really giving OPV? It’s given to put competing virus into the gut to interfere with the wild virus and revertant vaccine viruses, AND to put massive amounts of interfering polio virus into the environment and sewage system to try to slow down, or stop the wild virus.
Why a mass vaccination campaign in a country that has NO clinical paralysis? Could it be that any crack in the effort towards worldwide polio eradication has to be attacked full force JUST to try to meet a goal of eradication of wild polio, as problems with revertant OPV plague countries who have used it, and wild virus keeps showing up? Is this really about saving face for the polio eradication effort that has missed its goal numerous times, and now has a rather embarrassing track record in India, with Indian doctors now protesting use of OPV in that country? Have a look at THIS VIDEO and pay attention to what Dr Puliyel says.
What if the world became aware of the fact that there are many major problems with the OPV, and there have been significant failures of IPV? Poliovirus associated paralysis is such a low-incidence disease, with so many variables relating to the environment and the person, that doing good studies to calculate risk are probably impossible.
This vaccination campaign is a win/win situation for the MOH, WHO and vaccinationists world wide, because it gets the needle into the child and breaks down the parents’ resistance. And if their IPV vaccinated child gets provocation polio, from getting an injection at the time the child is incubating (known as provocation polio) any circulating virulent polio virus, who will care? MOH will just say their kid was the unlucky one, or that they should have vaccinated before now.
So what are nonvaccinating parents to do?
First, is to fully realize that the society we live in reads lots of words on paper, and listens to words in the media, most of which are fiction. It is easy to be duped and not realize what is fiction, especially when fear takes hold. Often, what is classified as “news” is carefully written or fictitious, with a goal to achieve an “end.” That is exactly what’s happening in Israel right now. The people who are “lost” may be lost because they have no core convictions about what they believe, either naturally, or spiritually. They got even more lost by “going with the flow” like dead fish floating out to the ocean. Everyone else was floating out to the ocean, so that’s the right way.
Non-vaccinators can be as proficient at going with the flow and not understanding what they don’t understand, as the provaccine are.
Those who are lost have a choice right now. They can remain powerless, frightened, stunned and filled with doubt. Those people will end up like weeds growing on a rooftop when the hot east wind blasts through.
The other choice, and the one I recommend, because the odds of flourishing are so much greater (and the most common question I get is about beating the odds), is to ditch the fear by whatever means necessary. Whomever does this, learns the truth, and figures out how to cultivate health in their families, will have the best chance of sending roots deep into the ground, and trees that produce the best fruit — for generations. Those who are able to do this will stand the best odds of thriving in this period of environmental saturation with OPV (which will likely continue for years after the OPV campaign is finished). And their children will be healthier and more disease-resistant in general. What vaccine does that? None. Does fear EVER accomplish that? Never.
A solid conviction basis is essential. What can you confidently commit your lives to? The fear of “what if something goes wrong?” or “the knowing that you are doing all you can do to keep your belief out of the fear campaign and your child disease-resistant?”
- 1) How prepared are you now, to face up to the possibility of any sickness or disease? What do you do every day to strengthen your child? Continuing good health is what everyone wants, but how are you going to achieve it? Who are you going to listen to?
2) Where does your faith lie? With the medical system, with your own philosophy on health, with God? Do you have convictions that will not be compromised regardless of what strategies, pressures and arguments are brought to bear on you? Are you able to verbalize them simply with confidence and clarity? If you are not convinced yourself, how can you make an informed choice and stand by it?
3) What is your decision, to vaccinate or not, based on? What is your fear based on? Pressure and/or smooth talking health “professionals”; facts; a “gut feeling”; a “faith” that won’t let you down?
4) When you make your decision, are you prepared to accept responsibility for it, whatever the outcome? Or will you want to look around for scapegoats if something goes wrong – someone or something to blame?
If you are unwilling to make a well-informed decision, then you have to allow someone else to make it for you. If you delegate your responsibility to another person — like me or the MOH, are you prepared to accept the outcomes, without apportioning blame, if they are not what you want?
If you will be looking for scapegoats, then I say vaccinate because at least if something goes wrong, you will have the support of those in the medical system, who will otherwise condemn you in your hour of need, should you need them.
The matter of convictions is extremely important, because it must provide an anchor to cope with life’s uncertainties.
Many people ask me what I would do if I were them. I cannot tell you to vaccinate or not. But I can give you advice on improving your child’s resistance. If I were in Israel today:
- 1) Younger children, as in nursery school age, or kindergarten, if you are going to be worried about them, keep them home until January or February, but the viruses will be circulating for months to years to come, at lower levels.
2) I would dose myself and my child daily with sodium ascorbate. Adults at least 2000 mg per day, children vary depending on weight and state of health. And I would read and understand the many functions of vitamin C, why people are so deficient, and why it helps with poliomyelitis whether viral or toxin-mediated so that I knew why I was doing it.
3) The role of good nutrition cannot be overstated in any disease, but with polio, there is plenty of evidence that diet makes a huge difference in susceptibility to neurovirulence. For instance a diet high in ISOFLAVONES can significantly LIMIT THE NEUROVIRULENCE of polio virus. My choice in that list would be tempeh because it is fermented and gives probiotics, and is also very high in isoflavones. Unfermented soy is probably not healthy due to undesirable glandular effects. Diets low in selenium are also known to enhance the neurovirulence of other enteroviruses as was found out in Cuba during an epidemic of paralysis that was originally thought to be polio, but later found to be coxsackie virus. Why isn’t the MOH telling people specifics about nurition?
4) I would avoid antibiotics, injections or drugs of any kind which impact the immune system like acetaminophen, processed food, environmental toxins — like the plague, as they will weaken the gut immunity, which is about 70% or more of your body’s total immunity.
5) I would avoid unnecessary surgery, like tonsillectomy while polio virus is circulating because these were known to be associated with paralytic poliomyelitis during the big polio epidemics in USA and UK. And because tonsillectomy removes the gatekeepers of the lung and gut’s immune system. There are better ways to manage large, chronically infected tonsils.
6) I would take probiotics and eat quantities of fermented food as appropriate for age. Eat lots of fruit, vegetables, good quality protein, and – if faith plays any part in your life, look up all the scripture on God’s ability to heal whomever asked him to.
7) I would do everything possible to rid myself of all fear. Fear is an immunosuppressant, raises cortisol levels, and will do nothing but fulfill MOH and WHO’s prophesy. In the USA in the 1950s, at the peak of the fear campaigns here, psychosocially-induced symptoms resembling polio, but being nothing more than hysteria, caused a lot of problems in hospitals. Fear could be the difference between you or your child infected with any polio virus becoming symptomatic or not.
8) A diet low in sugar has been shown to reduce the incidence of poliomyelitis in the past (SANDLER 1951, Van Meer 1992 ). Sugar is also another immunosuppressant, competes with vitamin C uptake in cells, and feeds intestinal toxin-secreting bacteria and feeds yeast.
9) Consider that vaccinology is a religious branch of medicine. There are other examples of medicine where doctors “believe” with all their heart in something that the establishment later admits was wrong, or that those doctors actually have no first hand knowledge about. Vaccinology is a form of civic religion. Doctors who support the many vaccines to infants and children, think that healthy children should take the (supposedly) small risk to their health and lives, in order to protect society and those who cannot get vaccinated. The church of vaccination does not involve any trustworthy God. It is ruled by fear, money, and “facts” that shift in the sand.
Where is your religious conviction? Does it lie within the church of fear, or with vaccination’s civic religion, or do you believe in the integrity of the human constitution to deal with disease when supported properly? You don’t need religion or spirituality, in my opinion, in order to thwart the damaging fear campaign. But you do need to divert your attention somewhere else. Anywhere else. And to have your own solid convictions that the collective fear cannot alter. Fear does indeed yield a self-fulfilling prophecy.
What makes the difference between those who are exposed to the most virulent polio viruses and have no symptoms at all, and those who become paralyzed? It is the innate immune system(RANCANIELLO 2006) that a vaccine doesn’t have much affect upon, but vitamin C, a healthy diet, and a low stress level can make a world of difference for. There is plenty of evidence that a low interferon level is a major determinant of viral virulence, including for attenuated strains. Interferon is poorly manufactured in low vitamin C states. This means that those who are vitamin C deficient will have a higher susceptibility even to the attenuated strains ( Lancaster 2011 ). So keep the vitamin C stores up in order to remain unsusceptible to viral invasion.
Why then all the hype and fear? Why is the medical profession phobic about vitamin C even though there is no known toxic dose, and no death ever reported from it? Could it be an issue of patent rights, which nobody can claim? Could it be that vitamin C is preventive and therapeutic for so many diseases, that the pharmaceutical industry could have to close down buildings, if vitamin C was ever religiously used by doctors? Could it be that most toxin-producing, viral, autoimmune, allergic, and infectious diseases could be managed with no or less prescription drugs, if vitamin C was a regular part of medical practice, for which doctors received education?
For religious Jews, and the Messianic Jews, I have a message for you regarding vaccination.
- God gave Moses core principles on Mt. Sinai that are held in high esteem by Jews the world over. The Israeli MOH may not esteem God’s principles, but I don’t believe they ever wear out. Neither do they need continuous revision. In fact, it turned out that God’s hygienic recommendations were based in science even though humans had yet to discover the science that proved God right.
God could have instructed Moses how to inoculate the Israelites in the desert when the diseases came upon them. If you take note of the Old Testament books of Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy, you’ll see that there were very specific guidelines handed down on everything from worship of God to disease management, with warnings as to what would happen if those guidelines were ignored.
The Israelites had highly skilled metal smiths and very sophisticated craftsmen and oil production. They had access to all the tools that Edward Jenner used to invent the smallpox vaccine, yet vaccination or inoculation of any sort, was never part of God’s instruction to Moses or the people of Israel, despite archeological evidence that polio and smallpox existed in Egypt at that time.
For Messianic Jews, the New Testament has many scriptures, which further reinforce the Jewish perspective and add a more expansive dimension to your study. If the Word of God has a part in your decision making process, then there are plenty of scriptures which are relevant to both religious Jews and Messianic Jews.
I have little understanding of Islamic religious tenets, therefore cannot comment in depth. However Islamic experts have written about the scriptural basis for vaccine refusal. See embedded links in this ARTICLE for more information.
A parent’s duty to their family (and to God if he is part of their lifestyle), is to make an informed choice based on real scientific facts, and whatever core convictions are important in your lives. No person ever makes a decision based on facts alone. Why? Because even “facts” are not always facts, and the most important things often cannot be measured.
For me, knowing both sides, I have no fear or doubt, but I cannot convey my roots to you. You must grow your own, and know that roots that are filled with fear will never provide life.
This is part one of two: Part two will contain the argument against MOH logic to use bOPV. Part one is published first due to the number of parents asking for immediate opinion.